Tuesday 28 August 2012

Meherangharh or however you spell it

I've been having fun in India, except for the fact that there aren't a lot of other tourists, so many local people are staring at us like we're martians. Others are laughing like we're wearing clown outfits, and the rest are taking pictures of us that they'll probably email to their friends, saying: "Look! Tourists! They actually exist!" I think it's rude and it makes me feel out of place being here. I mean, back home I don't point and stare at every foreigner I see.

It's weird how some people seem intimidated by us. At the beginning of the day, me and mom drove with the tour guide up to Meherangharh Fort (that's actually how it's spelled) which we had a great view of from our hotel balcony. There's the small side, and there's the big side, this place is on the colossal side, sending a shadow over half the city.

Later, I was tortured by mom when she spent 1 hour just looking at rugs in a store. In India, it was an old tradition for a merchant to give their customers opium while doing business. Now opium is illegal, so today they offer us tea or any other beverage. My mom got a Diet Coke at the rug store, and they gave me one too, but, many of you may know how gross they are, so I gave it back. I  said I wanted a regular Coca-Cola. When they came back and gave me the soda, I was very surprised, and I thought: "I don't know what you thought I said, but I sure didn't say Diet Pepsi!" But I accepted it anyway, because I didn't want to bother them too much, and let me tell you, Diet Pepsi is just as bad as Diet Coke.

2 comments:

  1. Owen, this is another great post on your blog. Tell your mom I know of a rug store in Mill Valley that happens to be having a going-out-of-business sale. That's pretty funny that your Diet Coke was replaced by a Diet Pepsi.
    Stay slim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember everyone staring at me too, and I'm not a little blond boy which is way more unusual! I took their interest as an opportunity to talk with them and almost always they were happy to chat and practice their English.

    ReplyDelete